SP4 has a new Atapi.sys that allows the IDE drive to be formated during install and to address the drive beyond 8Gig. SCSI drives are not affected with this problem.
To use the SP4 Atapi.sys during install: (Insure your System BIOS can handle drives of this size)
2. Copy ATAPI.EXE to a blank (preformatted) diskette.
3. Run ATAPI.EXE to extract Atapi.sys. Label the diskette "MS SP4 ATAPI IDE driver".
4. Start the install from the 3 setup diskettes.
5. Press S to skip detection of mass storage devices.
6. Press S again when setup lists <none>. Insert the "MS SP4 ATAPI IDE driver" diskette and press ENTER twice.
7. Press ENTER after the ATAPI driver is listed.
8. If you have additional mass storage drivers, press S.
9. Continue the setup process.
You are prompted for the ATAPI diskette during the copy phase of the installation.
1. Perform steps 1,2, and 3 above.
2. On Setup diskette 2, rename Winnt.sif to Winnt.bak and copy Winnt.sif from the i386 folder of the CD.
3. Start the install from the 3 setup diskettes.
4. Press F6 when you see Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration....
5. When prompted for disk 2, insert the one from step 2.
6. When prompted for mass storage devices, press S, and down arrow to OTHER.
7. Insert the "MS SP4 ATAPI IDE driver" and press ENTER twice.
8. Press ENTER after the ATAPI driver is listed.
9. If you have additional mass storage drivers, press S, otherwise press ENTER.
10. You will be prompted for diskette 2 and 3 and the ATAPI driver several more time.
Don't forget the convert to NTFS.