You can manually replace most inuse files by renaming them and then copying the replacement to the original name.
To automate this process for one or more files (if you have NT 4.0 SP2 or later) or to repair unbootable systems:
1. Insure that you replace the setupdd.sys on disk 2
of the 3 setup floppies with the updated version as described in Q168015.
2. Make a copy of your ERD or generate a new one and delete all files except setup.log.
3. Copy the files you wish to replace to the root of the ERD.
4. Modify the setup.log file on the new ERD as described in Modifying the setup.log. later in this tip.
5. Boot the 3 setup floppies and select R for repair, Verify Windows NT system files only,
and insert the ERD into drive A: when prompted.
Press enter when prompted to replace the files or ESC to skip a file.
I you do not have an NT CD in the CD-ROM drive, see Q158423.
6. When complete, reboot your computer.
Modifying the setup.log.
Replace the contents of the \[Files.WinNT\] section with a line or lines that contain the full path to the file on your HD per the following format:
\WINNT\System32\drivers\8514a.sys = "YourFileOnERD.EXT","99999","\","ERD disk","YourFileOnERD.EXT" where \WINNT must be equal to TargetDirectory. When finished, your setup.log would look like this:
TargetDirectory = "\WINNT"
TargetDevice = "\Device\Harddisk0\partition1"
SystemPartitionDirectory = "\" SystemPartition = "\Device\Harddisk0\partition1"
Version = "WinNt4.0"
ntldr = "ntldr","2a36b"
NTDETECT.COM = "NTDETECT.COM","b69e"
\WINNT\System32\drivers\8514a.sys = "YourFileOnERD.EXT","99999","\","ERD disk","YourFileOnERD.EXT"
If YourFileOnERD.EXT is not the same name as 8514a.sys it will replace the contents of 8514a.sys with the contents of YourFileOnERD.EXT.
If you change TargetDirectory to be a non-NT
directory, setup will copy the following additional directories
to the TargetDirectory which you can delete: