When you dial your ISP, you may receive:
Check networking protocol connections...
TCP/IP CP reported CP Error 738: The server did not assign an address.
Your ISP does not support Negotiate multi-link for single link connections, yet this is enabled by default.
You can turn it off for your Dial-up connection:
1. Start / Settings / Network and Dail-up Connections
2. Right-click the connection and press Properties / Networking.
3. Press PPP: Windows 95/98/NT/2000, Internet in Type of dial-up server I am calling.
4. Press Settings and clear the Negotiate multi-link for single link connections box.
5. Press OK until all the dialog boxes close.
If you wish to disable the default behavior, use Regedt32 to navigate to:
On the Edit menu. Add Value name DontNegotiateMultilinkOnSingleLinks, as a type REG_DWORD. Set the
data value to 1. Shutsdown and restart your computer.