A. If you receive event ID 4515 and also have difficulty changing the Active Directory (AD) replication scope from all domain controllers (DCs) to just DCs that host the DNS service, perform these steps to resolve the problem:
- Start the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) DNS snap-in (Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, DNS).
- Stop DNS services on all but one DNS server. (Right-click the DNS server name and select Stop from the All Tasks context menu).
- On the remaining DNS server, turn off AD integration for the zones that are experiencing the problem. To do so, right-click the zone and select Properties. Click Change under "Type of DNS" and clear the "Store the zone in Active Directory" check box.
- Restart the DNS service on the server. (Right-click the DNS server name and select Restart from the All Tasks context menu.)
- Reenable AD integration on the zone and force replication to other DCs.
- Start the DNS service on the other DNS servers by right-clicking the DNS server name and selecting Start from the All Tasks context menu.
You should no longer see event ID 4515 in the log.