Q: I promoted a virtual machine (VM) in Microsoft Azure to a domain controller (DC) in a new domain, but now I have problems resolving some DNS names, why?
A: If you have a VM that's using the standard Azure DNS, and you promote the VM to a DC, which also means a DNS server, a default DNS forwarder is configured in the new DNS server that limits some resolution. To resolve it, perform the following:
- Launch DNS Manager in the VM.
- Right-click the server name in DNS Manager and select Properties.
- Select the Forwarders tab.
- Click the Edit button, and remove any forwarders then click OK.
- Ensure you select Use root hints if no forwarders are available and click OK.
The problem should now be resolved.