In tip 3038, I described the Windows 2000 Application Compatibility Tool.
Starting with Service Pack 2 (SP2), an Administrator can enable this technology for programs that the tool does not support:
1. Press Start and Run.
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll.
To use Application Compatibility mode:1. Right-click the program shortcut and press Properties.
2. Select the Compatibility tab.
3. Check the Run in Compatibility Mode box.
4. Select Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 compatibility mode in the drop-down box.
5. Press OK.
When the user double-clicks the shortcut, the program will run in compatibility mode.
NOTE: "Some programs are designed for a specific operating system and intentionally prohibit use on future versions. These are most often system-level programs that run at a very low level and have the potential to cause serious problems if installed."
To disable Application Compatibility mode:1. Press Start and Run.
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll.