When you restart you Windows Server 2003 after installing or removing Active Directory, the event log contains:
Event ID: 53258
Description: MS DTC could not correctly process a DC Promotion/Demotion event. MS DTC will continue to function and will use the existing security settings.
Error Specifics : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\uiname.cpp:xxxx, CmdLine: xxxxxxxxxx\msdtc.exe, Pid: xxxx
This behavior occurs if the server tries but fails to configure the MS DTC (MicroSoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator) service to use the Network Service account for MS DTC. The Network Service account does NOT have the permissions to modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC key.
You can safely ignore this warning, or you can prevent it:
01. Start / Run / dcomcnfg.exe / OK.
02. Expand Component Services and expand Computers.
03. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.
04. Select the MSDTC tab.
05. Press the Security Configuration button.
06. Make a record of the Security Configuration settings.
07. Check the Network DTC Access box and press OK.
08. Press Yes when prompted with MS DTC service will be stopped and restarted. All dependent services will be stopped. Please press yes to proceed.
09. Press OK.
10. Press the Security Configuration button.
11. Reset the Security Configuration settings to the state that you recorded in step 06.
12. Press OK.
13. Press Yes when prompted with MS DTC service will be stopped and restarted. All dependent services will be stopped. Please press yes to proceed.
14. Press OK until you exit the dialog.