Last week Rod Trent wrote about the Patch Whenever Conundrum on our sister site Windows IT Pro.
His focus was on how it is impacting IT administrators as more patch days are added to the calendar for various version of software such as the most recent addition of Microsoft's Office software suite.
For us consumers, I imagine the way we approach patches are very different from the enterprise perspective. I know for me I just patch and go – if something bad happens I have backups and can easily recover.
Today is another opportunity to patch and go with the release of cumulative updates for Windows 10 Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164).
This month’s update, KB3147458, is a security update because it addresses security issues relating to Security Account Manager Remote Protocol, http.sys, secondary logon, Microsoft Graphics component, .NET Framework, CSRSS, Microsoft Edge and IE11.
Also included in this update are bug fixes for stability and general performance improvements:
- Improved reliability for Internet Explorer 11, .NET Framework, wireless LAN, Microsoft Edge, Windows Update, logon, Bluetooth, network connectivity, map apps, video playback, Cortana, USB, Windows Explorer, and Narrator.
- Fixed issue with connectivity of USB devices until OS restart.
- Improved discoverability of printers when a device resumes from sleep.
- Fixed issues with lock screen.
- Support for visual voicemail on dual SIM phones.
- Fixed issue with audio playback using Groove music and other music apps on a phone.
- Fixed issue with revised daylight savings time.
- Fixed additional issues with shutdown delays, Narrator, Cortana, roaming data usage, buying apps in the Store, video playback, facial recognition, Bluetooth pairing, Microsoft Edge, logon, Internet Explorer 11, Live Tile updates, .NET Framework, and Microsoft Installer (MSI).
After applying this update your Windows 10 install will now be on Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.218) for Current Branch.
Microsoft has already established a TechNet discussion post where users can check in and report success and issues with this month’s Cumulative Update.
This update is for both PCs and Mobile devices on Windows 10 Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164).