Today is the long awaited release day for Windows 10 Mobile destined for existing Windows Phone 8.1 users who have eligible devices.
Currently that list of devices only includes 18 devices according to Microsoft.
On that list are the Lumia 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540, 635 1GB, 636 1GB, 638 1GB, 430, 435, BLU Win HD w510u, BLU Win HD LTE x150q, and MCJ Madosma Q501.
While more devices could be added in the future, those who are making their first move to Windows 10 Mobile will want to be aware of some caveats that Microsoft has provided today concerning the differences between the two OSs and available services.
Also known as - modified or removed from Windows Phone 8.1:
- Notifications for missed calls, messages, and emails on contact tiles is not supported at the time of Windows 10 Mobile release.
- Me Tile and Me Card are no longer supported.
- Cortana can no longer search for apps, setting, email, text messaging, contacts and QR Codes on the device and can no longer open apps through voice commands.
- "Hey Cortana" is no longer available on some upgraded devices.
- Group tiles can no longer be used to receive social networking status updates.
- Indoor Maps are no longer available for some locations.
- Certain enterprise features, including Data Protection Under Lock, are not available; please contact your Microsoft Volume Licensing representative for more information.
- At time of Windows 10 Mobile release Outlook Mail app cannot open .EML attachments.
- Outlook Calendar app does not support Tasks.
- MDM capability to prevent saving and sharing Office documents not supported.
Additional Requirements for some Features
- Cortana is currently only available on Windows 10 in the United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain.
- Speech-to-text is currently only available on Windows 10 in the United States (English), United Kingdom (English), China (Simplified Chinese), France (French), Italy (Italian), Spain (Spanish), Germany (German), Canada (English), Australia (English), India (English), and Japan (Japanese).
- Speech recognition, including Cortana, will vary by device.
- Windows Hello is limited to select premium phones at launch, and requires specialized hardware, including illuminated infrared camera sensor for facial recognition or a finger print reader which supports the Window Biometric Framework. To check for device compatibility and other important information, visit your device manufacturer's website.
- Continuum for phones limited to select premium phones. Feature requires external monitor with DisplayPort, HDMI connector, or compatible adapter and Continuum for phones-compatible accessories, all sold separately. App availability and experience varies by device and market.
- Office 365 subscription required for some Office features.
- Music and video streaming through Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music) or Movies & TV apps is not available in all regions. For the most up-to-date list of regions, please go to the Xbox on Windows website.
- Xbox app and some games and features only available in Xbox Live-supported countries and regions. You can see the list at Xbox Live Countries and Regions website
- Skype available only in select countries and regions. Calling to select countries and regions only. Excludes special, premium and non-geographic numbers. For details, visit the Office FAQ page
- Microsoft account required for some features.
Windows 10 Mobile Language Availability
Afrikaans (South Africa), Albanian (Albania), Amharic, Arabic (Saudi Arabia), Azerbaijani (Latin, Azerbaijan), Bangla (Bangladesh), Basque, Belarusian (Belarus), Bulgarian (Bulgaria), Catalan (Catalan), Chinese (Simplified, China), Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan), Croatian (Croatia), Czech (Czech Republic), Danish (Denmark), Dutch (Netherlands), English (United Kingdom), English (United States), Estonian (Estonia), Filipino (Philippines), Finnish (Finland), French (France), French (Canada), Galician (Galician), German (Germany), Greek (Greece), Hausa (Latin, Nigeria), Hebrew (Israel), Hindi (India), Hungarian (Hungary), Icelandic, Indonesian (Indonesia), Italian (Italy), Japanese (Japan), Kannada, Kazakh (Kazakhstan), Khmer (Cambodia), KiSwahili, Korean (Korea), Lao (Laos), Latvian (Latvia), Lithuanian (Lithuania), Macedonian (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia), Malay (Malaysia), Malayalam, Norwegian, Bokmål (Norway), Persian, Polish (Poland), Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian (Romania), Russian (Russia), Serbian (Latin, Serbia), Slovak (Slovakia), Slovenian (Slovenia), Spanish (Spain, International Sort), Spanish (Mexico), Swedish (Sweden), Tamil (India), Telugu, Thai (Thailand), Turkish (Turkey), Ukrainian (Ukraine), Uzbek (Latin, Uzbekistan), Vietnamese
But, wait...there's probably more so be sure to follow me on Twitter and Google+.