In addition to the subject error, you may receive:
Workstation service terminated with service-specific error 2250.
This behavior will occur if the Mup.sys file is missing or damaged.
To fix this problem:
1. Shutdown and restart Windows.
2. Press F8 to invoke the Advanced Options menu.
3. Select Safe Mode.
4. Log on to the appropriate operating system instance.
5. Insert your operating system CD in the <CD-ROM:> drive.
6. Open a CMD.EXE window.
7. Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each line:
expand <CD-ROM:>\i386\mup.sy_ %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers
expand <CD-ROM:>\i386\mup.sy_ %SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache
8. Optionally, type SFC /scannow and press Enter.
9. Shutdown and restart your computer normally.
NOTE: You should upgrade to the latest service pack to get the most recent version of Mup.sys, avoiding vulnerabilities in the older versions.