Windows Server 2003 disables sounds by default, to provide more stability and security.
If you need sound for your Accessibility software, or other application:
1. Start / Run / Devmgmt.msc / OK.
2. Expand Sound, video and game controllers and verify that your sound device is listed. If it isn't, visit Windows Update to see if a driver is available.
3. Once a driver is installed, Start / Run / Services.msc / OK.
4. Double-click the Windows Audio service.
5. Set the Startup type to Automatic.
6. Press Apply.
7. Press the Start button.
8. Press OK.
9. Close the Services dialog.