A. If you're using IE and follow a link to a Microsoft Word document, for example, IE will open the document within the IE window. If you prefer to start a separate Word instance and load the document in that instance, you need to make an OS-level change. To do so, perform these steps:
- Start Windows Explorer (Start, Run, Explorer).
- From the Tools menu, select Folder Options.
- Select the File Types tab.
- Select the file type that you don't want to open in IE and click Advanced.
- Clear the "Browse in same window" check box and click OK.
- Close the Folder Options dialog box.
That file type will now open within the application instead of IE.