Here’s a quick tip. Most tablets have a quick way to tell the tablet to not go to sleep when running on power (plugged-in). The Microsoft Surface does not have a quick and easy way to do it in the Metro (yes, I said ‘Metro’) UI. Instead, you have to use the old way, by navigating through the old Control Panel app.
Keeping the screen on while on power is useful, particularly if you are using the tablet as a desk clock (like I do). Here’s how to make this change:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the Microsoft Surface and to to All Apps.
- Swipe to the right until you find Control Panel.
- Choose the System and Security option when Control Panel opens (Windows 8 will take you to the old Windows desktop view – don’t be alarmed).
- Find the Power Options area and open it.
- On the left-hand side of the Power Options area, choose Change when the computer sleeps.
- Set your preferred options for the Plugged in value and Save Changes.