When a user who is logged onto your domain tries to connect to a shared network printer, they receive:
You do not have sufficient access to your machine to connect to the selected printer, since a driver needs to be installed locally.
The most likely scenario for this error to occurs is:
- The users is running a version of Windows NT (Windows NT x.x, Windows 2000 (NT 5.0), or Windows XP (NT 5.1)).
- The 'print server' is running a different operating system.
- The 'print server' has not loaded a suitable driver for the client operating system.
- The user is NOT a local administrator.
If all of the above conditions are true, the error occurs because the client must be able to locally install a print driver and they do NOT have the permissions required.
NOTE: The user must also be at least a Domain User.
There are two possible solutions:
1. Install a suitable driver on the 'print server' so that the client can download it. Use a technique similar to tip 3381.