Skip navigation

Mozilla Off to a Fast Start, But IE Dominates

Mozilla 1.0 and its Netscape 7.0 Preview Release 1 (PR1) sibling are off to a strong start, according to a recent survey by market researcher The company says that the Mozilla Web browser has a global usage share of 0.4 percent after just two weeks of availability, while Netscape 7.0 PR1 has a global usage share of 0.3 percent after one month. Not surprisingly, Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 6.0 continues to dominate the market, and IE 6 actually saw its global market usage rise 1.7 percent since April 2002. Overall, IE 6 has a global usage share of 46.4 percent, according to

OneStat says that all versions of the Microsoft browsers account for 95.3 percent of total worldwide market usage. However, Microsoft's total global usage share has dropped with 1.3 percent, from 96.6 percent to 95.3 percent, in the past 30 days, while the total global usage share of Netscape has increased by 0.6 percent, from 2.8 percent to 3.4 percent. The top five browsers are:

1. Microsoft IE 6.0 -  46.4%
2. Microsoft IE 5.5 - 23.9%
3. Microsoft  IE 5.0 - 23.6%
4. Netscape Navigator 4.0 - 1.4%
5. Microsoft IE 4.0 - 1.2%

OneStat's research is based on a sample of 2 million visitors divided into 20,000 visitors of 100 countries each day, according to the company.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.