When you attempt to log on to Windows XP, you receive a message that the grace period has expired and that you must activate Windows XP now. When you press Yes to activate the product, you are returned to the logon prompt.
To workaround this behavior:
1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, or DVD drive, and restart your computer.
2. Press the Space bar when the Press any key to boot from CD message appears.
3. Press Enter when the following is displayed:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.4. Press F8 when you are prompted to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.
5. Select the current installation of Windows XP and press R.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform an update install of Windows XP.