If your previous attempts at upgrading to Windows XP have hung, you may wish to confirm installation of each device driver, so you can detect and/or skip the problem driver(s):
1. See How do I install Windows XP?
2. Follow the on-screen instructions.
3. When you see the Installing Devices green progress indicator appear, on the right-hand side of your screen, during the Installing Windows portion of setup, press SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt.
4. In the command prompt, type taskmgr and press Enter.
5. Select the Processes tab.
6. For every occurrence of svchost.exe, select it and press End Process.
7. When you have ended all instances of svchost.exe, exit Task Manager.
8. Setup will now prompt you to confirm the installation of each device driver by displaying a Hardware Installation dialog, which describes the device driver. You may press Yes to install it or No to skip the installation.
NOTE: DO NOT skip a device driver that is required for Windows XP to operate.