When you attempt to install your Hewlett Packard PhotoSmart 1000 series printer, installation halts and your receive:
Error 09: unable to create directory c:\program files\hpphotosmart\printer
The printer does NOT work.
This error is generally the result of an incorrect port configuration.
To fix the problem:
01. Right-click My Computer and press Manage.
02. Expand System Tools and double-click Device Manager.
03. Double-click Ports (COM & LPT).
04. If the LPT port is NOT listed as an ECP Printer Port, change this port to ECP in your computer's BIOS.
05. Double-click ECP Printer Port (LPTn).
06. Select the Port Settings tab.
07. Select Use any interrupt assigned to the port.
08. Check Enable legacy Plug and Play detection.
09. Press OK.
10. Shutdown and restart your computer.