When you start Windows XP, you receive:
WinLogon.exe could not locate component. This application has failed to start because comctl32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
When you press OK, you may receive:
User Interface Failure. The logon user interface DLL 'msgina.dll' failed to load. Contact your system administrator or restore the DLL.
Expand the corrupted or missing files from the CD-ROM:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Shutdown and restart your computer.
3. Boot the CD-ROM, pressing R on the Welcome screen, or start the Recovery Console from the menu.
4. Select the Windows XP instance that you wish to access and enter the Administrator's password.
5. Type: expand <CD-ROM Drive Letter>\I386\comctl32.dl_ <Windows Drive Letter>\<Windows Folder>\System32
6. Type Exit.
7. Restart Windows XP.
If you cannot expand the files, repair the installation:
1. Boot the CD-ROM.
2. Press Enter on the Welcome screen.
3. Press F8 to accept the End-User License Agreement.
4. Press R to repair the installation, following the on-screen instructions.