If you restore Windows XP to before SP1, you may experience any of the following:
- All the items on the Network Connection page are dimmed.
- You cannot create a remote access or Dial-up Networking connection.
- The Network Connections folder is empty.
- The ICF and ICS services fail to start due to a dependency failure.
- You receive access denied events from the Remote Access Connection Manager.
This problems indicates that the System hive in the registry was NOT correctly restored.
To fix this problem, reinstall SP1. If you are unable to reinstall SP1:
1. Copy / Paste the following to a rasman.reg file:
2. Merge the rasman.reg file with your registry or run regedit /s rasman.reg.
3. Shutdown and restart Windows XP.