Windows XP does NOT include support for EHCI host controllers. This may result in the following symptoms.
- Your USB 2.0 device does NOT run at high speed.
- When you plug in a USB 2.0 device, you receive warnings.
- Your USB 2.0 host controllers have an exclamation point in a yellow circle in Device Manager and displays status code 28.
You can install USB 2.0 support for Windows XP by visiting the Driver Updates area of the Microsoft Windows Update Web site. If a compatible controller is detected, you can install the "Microsoft USB Driver Version 5.1.2600.0". If you have a 3rd-party USB 2.0 driver installed, you will have to remove it.
To manually download the driver, see tip 4544:
1. Press Find driver updates for hardware devices.
2. Press Other hardware.
3. Select Microsoft in the Manufacturer area.
4. Select Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition in the Operating System box.
5. Press Search.
6. Download the Microsoft USB Driver Version 5.1.2600.0. driver.
NOTE: Not all EHCI host controllers are supported. The following hardware IDs are supported by this driver: