If you read the Release Notes for Windows XP Contained in the Relnotes.htm File, you will see that Microsoft has dropped support for the NetBEUI protocol.
If you have a peer-to-peer network that only uses the NetBEUI protocol, it can be a significant effort to migrate to the TCP/IP protocol.
Microsoft has provided the NetBEUI protocol in the VALUEADD folder of the Windows XP CD-ROM (retail).
To install the NetBEUI protocol:
1. Browse to the \Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder on the CD-ROM and copy the Nbf.sys file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers folder, and the Netnbf.inf file to %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden folder.
2. Start / Network Connections / Open.
3. Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to and press Properties.
4. Select the General tab.
5. Press Install.
6. Select Protocol and press Add.
7. Select the NetBEUI Protocol from the list and press OK.
8. Restart your computer when the install is finished.
NOTE: You cannot use NetBEUI on a RAS connection.