When you install Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP, you receive:
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.This will occur if Microsoft Office XP is installed and the Office XP Windows Installer has been corrupted.
To fix the problem, you must be logged on with Administrative privileges:
01. Start / Control Panel.
02. If you are not using Classic View, press Switch to Classic View.
03. Navigate to Administrative Tools / Services.
04. Right-click Windows Installer and press Stop.
05. Press File / Exit and close Administrative Tools if it is still open.
06. Press Start / Run / CMD / OK.
07. Type cd /d %systemroot%\System32 and press Enter.
08. Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each one:
ren Msi.dll msi.old ren Msiexec.exe msiexec.old ren Msihnd.dll msihnd.old09. Close the CMD prompt.
10. Insert the Office XP CD-ROM and browse the root of the CD-ROM drive.
11. Double-click INSTMSIW.EXE.
12. Press OK to the Windows Installer Setup completed successfully message when it appears.
13. Shutdown and restart your computer.