ClearType smoothes the edges of screen fonts, and works extra well on LCD devices, flat screen monitors and laptop screens.
To enable ClearType:
1. Right-click a blank area of your desktop and press Properties.
2. Select the Settings tab.
3. Insure that the Color Quality is at least 256 color, but ClearType works best at High color (24-bit) and above.
4. Select the Appearance tab.
5. Press the Effects button.
6. Check the Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts box and select ClearType from the list.
7. Press OK.
8. Press Apply and OK.