When you try to re-create a DFS share, you receive:
Unable to create a mapping.
You may be able to create new DFS shares.
If your DFS share is damaged, you may experience this problem. You may not be able to delete the damaged share.
To fix the problem:
01. Log on to the Windows NT server that hosts the DFS root, with administrative priviledges.
02. Control Panel / Services / DFS Service / Startup.
03. Set the service to Disabled and press OK.
04. Shutddown and restart your server.
05. Log on with administrative priviledges.
06. Delete the damaged DFS share.
07. Control Panel / Services / DFS Service / Startup.
08. Set the service to Automatic and press OK.
09. Shutddown and restart your server.
10. Log on with administrative priviledges.
11. Re-create the DFS share.
NOTE: DFS share information is located at:
If you need to, you can delete any orphaned entries.