A. Usually, you must first install Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 (IE 4.0) with the Windows Desktop Update component, then upgrade to IE 5.0 or higher. However, you can perform the following steps to directly install the component from the IE 5.0 setup process:
- Run IE 5.0's setup file (ie5setup.exe).
- When IE 5.0's license dialog box appears, find iesetup.cif in one of the subdirectories of the Windows Temp directory.
- Open iesetup.cif with Notepad and locate in \[IE4Shell_Win\] (for Windows 98/95) or \[IE4Shell_NTx86\] (for Windows NT) "DisplayName=%MSIE4Shell%." Change UIVISIBLE=0 to UIVISIBLE=1, and save the file.
- Accept the license, then click CustomInstall.
- You can see the "Windows Desktop Update" component in the components list. Select it and any other components you need. Then click Continue.