A. You can change the keyboard layout using the keyboard control panel applet (start - settings - control panel - keyboard - Input Locales) however this does not affect the layout used during logon (which is by default English (United States)). See also, "Disabling Keyboard-Layout Switches" and "How can I get Windows NT to use my keyboard layout during logon?"
To change this perform the following:
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload
- Double click on 1 and change the number to your local layout (you could get this by looking at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload1). Click OK
- You may also change HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International\Locale to this value however it is not mandatory to do so.
- Close the registry editor
- Logoff and then on again
Make sure you select a country code that has been installed via the control panel or your system will not boot.
A table of the codes to the countries is given below:
00000402Bulgarian0000041aCroatian00000405Czech00000406Danish00000413Dutch (Standard)00000813Dutch (Belgian)00000409English (United States)00000809English (United Kingdom)00001009English (Canadian)00001409English (New Zealand)00000c09English (Australian)0000040bFinnish0000040cFrench (Standard)0000080cFrench (Belgian)0000100cFrench (Swiss)00000c0cFrench (Canadian)00000407German (Standard)00000807German (Swiss)00000c07German (Austrian)00000408Greek0000040eHungarian0000040fIcelandic00001809English (Irish)00000410Italian (Standard)00000810Italian (Swiss)00000414Norwegian (Bokmal)00000814Norwegian (Nynorsk)00000415Polish00000816Portuguese (Standard)00000416Portuguese (Brazilian)00000418Romanian00000419Russian0000041bSlovak00000424Slovenian0000080aSpanish (Mexican)0000040aSpanish (Traditional Sort)00000c0aSpanish (Modern Sort)0000041dSwedish0000041fTurkish
These can also be seen in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\DosKeybCodes