A. To disable both Windows keys perform the following:
- Start the registry editor (regedt32.exe)
- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
- From the Edit menu select New - Binary Value
- Enter a name of "Scancode Map" and press enter
- Double click on the new value and set to
0000 0000 0000 0000 0300 0000 0000 5BE0 0000 5CE0 0000 0000 Do not type the spaces, I only include them only to help you view the data
- Click OK
- Close the registry editor and reboot the machine
Once the machine has restarted the Win key will no longer work
You can automate this by placing the command in a regini file, create the file remove_win.ini with the following contents
\Registry\Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout Scancode Map = REG_BINARY 24 0x00000000 0x00000000 3 0xE05B0000 0xE05C0000 \ 0x0
To then run the script enter the command
Regini.exe is supplied with the Windows NT Resource kit.
To re-enable the Win key delete the "Scancode Map" value you created.