A. User profiles are stored under the %systemroot%\profiles directory, but if you just try to copy this to someone else the new user will not have permission to use the profile. Instead the following procedure must be used.
- Logon as an Administrator
- Start the System Control Panel Applet (Start - Settings - Control Panel - System)
- Click the User Profiles tab
- You will see a list of all the profiles stored on the machine. Select the one which you wish to copy
- Click the "Copy to" button
- In the "Copy profile to" enter the location where you want it copied to. If you wanted to use as a roaming profile you would enter the netlogon location on a domain controller, usually %systemroot%\system32\Repl\Export\Scripts, you want the Export area not Import as anything in Export is copied to the import by the replication process.
- In the "Permitted to use" click Change. Select Everyone and click Add or just the user who will use it, then click OK.
- Click OK to start the copy.
You should then check that the file ntuser.dat has been created where you selected.
If you have trouble exporting a profile see Q. I get an error when I try to export a profile other than Administrator.