A. Because the Office installer doesn't register Word as an editor for the .htm file type, IE doesn't recognize Word as an HTML editor. Microsoft has resolved this problem in IE 5.5 and later.
To use Word as an HTML editor on a machine running IE 5.0, you can either manually load an HTML file into Word and click Yes when the system prompts you to use Word as the default editor, or you can manually update your registry by performing the following steps:
- Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithList registry subkey.
- From the Edit menu, select New, Key.
- Enter a name of WINWORD.EXE, then press Enter.
- Close the registry editor.
To confirm this setting, start IE, open the Tools menu, and select Internet Options. Select the Programs tab and click the "HTML editor" drop-down list to ensure that Microsoft Word is an option.