The good folks at watchdog group Consumer Reports are in need of a new mobile app, which could earn one lucky developer a $10,000 contract.
The company's App Development Challenge ends 5 p.m. ET Nov. 8. Enter before then, and you could additionally win:
- a $1,000 Second Place prize
- a $500 Third Place prize
- one of two honorable mentions, likely to impress future employers, if not just your mom.
All the above also include a mention on ConsumerReports.org.
But let's focus on the real prize. To win, devs need to:
- Submit five to seven screen shots (PNG or JPG format, no larger than 400k each) of an original app, written for a smartphone or tablet platform.
- State which mobile platform the app with run on, choosing from either iOS 4.0 or higher or Android 2.2 or higher.
- A fewer-than-2,500-words description of the app, ideally addressing the questions: How does your app fit with Consumer Reports' missing of helping consumers make smarter or more informed choices with unbiased and trustworthy information? And, what consumer need does your app fulfill?
You get one shot, and once you turn it in there's no fixing anything, so be tidy about it.
To help out, prior to submission Consumer Reports will offer two weeks of free access to its Web site and, should you want to include them in your design, access to its logo, rating symbols, icons, product images and product rating data sets.
There are a few rules and regulations—like that you need to be at least 18 years old to submit — so interested parties such first take a look at the contest's official site.
A first round of judging will run Nov. 9 through 16 and be followed by a public voting period from Nov. 21 through Dec. 7. Good luck!