Your indexing strategy is an important part of your responsibilities as a database administrator (DBA). Proper indexing can make a sluggish database perform better. Conversely, improper indexing can make a high-performing database run poorly. The difference depends on how you structure the indexes, as well as on your follow-up.
Here are 10 resources to assist you with your SQL Server indexing strategy:
- Indexing Dos and Don'ts
- Indexing Updates
- Indexing the Data Warehouse
- How Many Indexes Should I Create?
- Descending Indexes
- Rebuild Indexes Online
- Rebuild Only the Indexes that Need Help
- In Search of Duplicate Indexes on Your Tables
- Implicit or Explicit Index Keys
- Avoiding Never-Ending Index Maintenance