Q. What are the correct terms for VIP and DIP with Azure Resource Manager?
A. With Azure Service Manager there were various names for different types of IP address available:
- Dynamic IP (DIP) - The internal IP address used within the cloud service or virtual network
- Virtual IP (VIP) - IP address used by the cloud service that is Internet addressable
- Instance-level Public IP (ILPIP) - Internet IP assigned directly to a VM
With Azure Resource Manager (ARM) these terms are retired and there are really just two (with the same acronym which is unfortunate)
- Private IP address - Used within a virtual network (and its connected networks, the old DIP)
- Public IP address - Accessible from the Internet
Both Private and Public IPs can be dynamic or static and both can be assigned to a vmNIC or Load Balancer.