Storage UPDATE, March 31, 2003
Storage UPDATE--brought to you by the Windows & .NET Magazine Network http://www.storageadmin.com
~~~~ THIS ISSUE SPONSORED BY ~~~~
HP & Microsoft Network Storage Solutions Road Show http://www.winnetmag.com/roadshows/nas
* TWO VENDORS JOIN FORCES FOR SAS DEVELOPMENT Newly formed Hitachi Global Storage Technologies and LSI Logic's Storage Standard Products division have announced plans to work together to speed the delivery of next-generation Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) technology. As part of their collaboration, the companies will share design implementations and performance testing results and debug information, and will participate in other joint activities. The SCSI Trade Association (STA) and the T10 Committee are currently developing the SAS standard, which is expected to be complete by the end of 2004. Both companies plan to continue to work with the standard organizations working on the SAS standard.
SAS will be compatible with Serial ATA (SATA). This compatibility will allow users with SAS host adapters to choose between using either SAS or SATA hard disk drives in their systems. The new SAS standard will help enterprise customers leverage existing SCSI investments by including SCSI backward compatibility. SAS will also include serial point-to-point interconnections, dual porting, increased addressability, the ability to scale to small form factors, and data transfer rates to speeds as fast as 3Gbps. http://www.hgst.com http://lsilogic.com/storage http://www.scsita.org http://www.storageadmin.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=38234
* ADAPTEC ABOUT TO EXPAND SAN OFFERS? According to industry reports last week, Adaptec is on the verge of acquiring Eurologic Systems, a storage subsystem manufacturer. The acquisition is aimed at increasing Adaptec's Storage Area Network (SAN) offerings. Eurologic sells network storage hardware and software though OEMs and is based in Ireland. The deal is reportedly valued at $50 million.
Adaptec acquired Tricord's Network Attached Storage (NAS) assets late last year. Adaptec is one of the leading suppliers of SCSI adapters, and a deal with Eurologic could help the company tap into the growing IP SAN marketplace. IP SAN's growth is expected to increase since the recent approval of the iSCSI standard and Microsoft's recently announced support of iSCSI. http://www.adaptec.com http://www.eurologic.com http://www.storageadmin.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=38214
* GET THE EBOOK THAT WILL HELP YOU GET CERTIFIED! The "Insider's Guide to IT Certification," from the Windows & .NET Magazine Network, has one goal: to help you save time and money on your quest for certification. Find out how to choose the best study guides, save hundreds of dollars, and be successful as an IT professional. The amount of time you spend reading this book will be more than made up by the time you save preparing for your certification exams. Order your copy today! http://winnet.bookaisle.com/ebookcover.asp?ebookid=13475
* M1500 VS. M4 EMULATION MODE Forum member "Flam" has a Quantum ATL M1500 tape library that he can put into M4 or M1500 emulation mode. Flam wants to know what the difference is between the two modes and which mode is better. He is running VERITAS Software's Backup Exec 9.0 and Windows 2000. To lend a helping hand, go to the following URL: http://www.winnetmag.com/forums/rd.cfm?cid=46&tid=56418
* IDENTIFY AND BACK UP CRUCIAL FILES AlmerSoft released AlmerBackup 3.0, backup software that lets you create regular backups of your crucial data. You identify your most crucial files and specify in the built-in schedule how frequently those files need to be backed up. The software also performs simple file copies and moves, deletes out-of-date files from the destination directory, and removes copied files from the source directory. AlmerBackup can back up to any network resource. The software runs on Windows XP/2000/NT/Me/9x systems and costs $29. Contact AlmerSoft at [email protected] http://www.almersoft.com
* NEW DOT HILL PRODUCT LINE Dot Hill Systems announced its SANnet II family of compact RAID and Just a Bunch of Disks (JBOD) storage solutions. The SANnet product family includes SANnet II SCSI, SANnet II FC, and SANnet II Blade. All SANnet II products feature hot-swappable, field-replaceable components, including drives, controllers, power supplies, fans, and event-monitoring units. For pricing, contact Dot Hill at 760-931-5500. http://www.dothill.com
* CORRECTION Last week's New and Improved section featured information about NovaStor Keyster. We published an incorrect contact number for the company. You can contact NovaStor with questions about its Keyster product at 805-579-6700. We apologize for any inconvenience this error might have caused.
* SUBMIT TOP PRODUCT IDEAS Have you used a product that changed your IT experience by saving you time or easing your daily burden? Do you know of a terrific product that others should know about? Tell us! We want to write about the product in a future What's Hot column. Send your product suggestions to [email protected]
* ABOUT THE COMMENTARY – [email protected]
* ABOUT THE NEWSLETTER IN GENERAL -- [email protected] (please mention the newsletter name in the subject line)
* TECHNICAL QUESTIONS -- http://www.winnetmag.com/forums
* PRODUCT NEWS -- [email protected]
* ABOUT YOUR STORAGE UPDATE SUBSCRIPTION -- [email protected]
* WANT TO SPONSOR STORAGE UPDATE? [email protected]
******************** This weekly email newsletter is brought to you by Windows & .NET Magazine, the leading publication for Windows professionals who want to learn more and perform better. Subscribe today. http://www.winnetmag.com/sub.cfm?code=wswi201x1z
Receive the latest information about the Windows and .NET topics of your choice. Subscribe to our other FREE email newsletters. http://www.winnetmag.com/email
|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-| Thank you for reading Storage UPDATE.
You are subscribed as #EmailAddr#.
MANAGE YOUR ACCOUNT You can manage your entire Windows & .NET Magazine Network email newsletter account on our Web site. Simply log on, and you can change your email address, update your profile information, and subscribe or unsubscribe to any of our email newsletters all in one place. http://www.winnetmag.com/email
Thank you! ___________________________________________________________ Copyright 2003, Penton Media, Inc.