When you attempt to run the Windows Genuine Advantage validation check from the Windows Update Web site, you receive:
Validation Incomplete: Unable to Perform Validation (Error Code 0x80080299)
You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your local product support team for further assistance with this issue.
This behavior will occur if the ActiveX Controls add-on is not installed or enabled.
To confirm the the WGA validation tool add-on is enabled:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, press Manage Add-ons.
3. Confirm that the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool add-on is displayed and that it is enabled.
4. If it is disabled, select the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool add-on and check Enable. Press OK.
5. Visit the Windows Update Web site and run the Windows Genuine Advantage validation check.
If the validation process still fails, or if the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool add-on is not installed:
1. Visit the Windows Genuine Advantage Web site.
2. Press Validate Now.
3. When complete, you should receive Validation Complete.