A. Before your install Exchange 2003 SP1, read the release notes. They contain a number of notices that could apply to your site and might affect the order in which you upgrade servers. You also need to apply hotfix 831464 before you install the service pack. After you have the SP1 installation files, perform the following steps:
- Start Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to the \setup\i386 folder on the SP1 media (e.g, CD-ROM, folder).
- Run update.exe.
- Click Next on the SP1 installation dialog box's welcome screen.
- Select "I agree" and click Next.
- You'll see that the "Update" action is chosen for all installed components, which the figure at Figure shows. Click Next.
- Click Next to begin the installation.
- After the installation is complete, click Finish. You're prompted to restart the server.
During the installation, the Information Store service, WWW service, and other Exchange processes are stopped, which interrupts service to users. Therefore, you should plan to perform the upgrade at a time when users don't need to access Exchange.
A new version of the Exchange Server Deployment Tools is available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=271e51fd-fe7d-42ad-b621-45f974ed34c0&displaylang=en. You can use the deployment tools to assist you in the upgrade process. The tools offer new features, including enhanced support for consolidating sites in a mixed-mode environment (i.e., an environment containing a mix of servers running any combination of Exchange 2003, Exchange 2000 Server, and Exchange Server 5.5).