A. Microsoft has released the Windows Server 2003 Server Performance Advisor--a tool designed to help troubleshoot Windows 2003 performance problems. Neither Windows XP nor Windows 2000 platforms support this tool. The tool is available here. After you download the tool, execute the .msi file and follow the onscreen prompts to perform the following steps:
- Click Next to go to the "Welcome to the Server Performance Advisor Setup Wizard" introduction screen.
- Click "I accept" on the license page, then click Next.
- Accept the default installation location and select whether the tool will be used by just the person installing the tool or by all administrators, as the figure shows. Click Next.
- The wizard prompts you for a location for the temporary storage of performance log files. Accept the default--C:\perflogs\data location--and click Next.
- Next, the wizard prompts you for a reports folder location. Again, accept the default location (C:\perfLogs) and click Next. Click Next to begin the installation. When the installation is finished, click Finish.
You'll now have a new Start menu item, Server Performance Advisor, which you can use to start the advisor process.