In keeping with time-honored tradition, Microsoft today issued Surface firmware updates alongside its monthly Patch Tuesday security fixes. This month's set of updates includes updates for all Surface models: Surface 2, Surface RT, Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2.
Be sure to check out my comprehensive Microsoft Surface 2: The Complete Guide if you're not up on what Microsoft has done with the new Surface generation 2 devices and accessories.
Here's what's new this week.
Surface RT with Windows RT or Windows RT 8.1
- Surface Home button driver update to optimize available system memory
- Surface Type Cover audio device driver update to enhance trackpad sounds for Type Cover 2
Surface Pro with Windows 8
- No updates
Surface Pro with Windows 8.1
- Wi-Fi driver (v14.69.24047.156) update for improved wireless display experience
- Fix for screen dimming during CPU intensive operations resolved
- Decreased charge time for batteries resolved
- Two-finger trackpad use optimized
- Update to support additional external displays
- Skype video quality improved
- Resolved delay during restart when Bluetooth devices are connected
Surface Pro 2
- Update for improved system stability, including when minimizing full screen games
- Updated Wi-Fi driver for improved wireless display and connectivity with wireless access points
- Improved Surface Cover interaction including power-saving sleep functionality
- Color fidelity improvements for all applications
- Optimized two-finger trackpad use
- Enhanced audio experience when connected to a DisplayPort 1.2 device
As always, the simplest way to get and install these updates is via Windows Update. Microsoft now provides step-by-step instructions if you're not sure how to make that happen.