Although we are in the final stretch approaching release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update there is another software release today that will likely get a more enthusiastic response across social media and on tech websites.
That release is a new firmware update for Microsoft's Lumia 950 and 950 XL handsets that run Windows 10.
Although the firmware update addresses a handful of critical issues it is the return of Double Tap To Wake (DTTW) feature that is making those Lumia users happiest.
For those who might be unfamiliar with DTTW it allows a user to double tap their devices screen to wake it up and get a glance at their Lockscreen for updates, alerts, etc.
I spoke to some who love this feature, I do not use it myself, and apparently they feel it saves them significant wear and tear on the power button by just being able to tap the screen.
Although DTTW may be the most popular element of this firmware update, it does address a couple of serious issues that many users have dealt with for quite a few months:
- Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results.
- Support for double tap to wake enabled.
- Bluetooth connectivity improvements.
- Stability and reliability improvements.
- Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved Auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users.
- Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users.
- Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.
Personally, I am very excited to see this update for the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, camera and audio improvements.
Just as a reminder - this is a global roll out so it will not be immediately available to all handsets and your carrier has a say on when it gets pushed out as well.
So, what about you? Anything on this list going to improve your Lumia 950/950 XL experience?