The Wireless Zero Configuration service provides required functionality to the Wireless Network Setup Wizard and the View Available Wireless Networks feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2. If your wireless device software replaces the Wireless Zero Configuration service, you will have to use your 3rd-party software to configure and view the wireless network, unless your manufacturer provides a documented workaround.
If your wireless adapter uses the built-in functionality:
1. Open a CMD.EXE window.
2. Type the following command and press Enter:
REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC /V Start /T REG_DWORD /D 2 /F
3. When you receive the The operation completed successfully message, type the following command and press Enter.
net start WZCSVC
4. If the Wireless Zero Configuration service is not started, see How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP.
5. Start / Run / ncpa.cpl / OK.
6. Right-click your wireless connection and press Properties.
7. Select the Wireless Networks tab.
8. Select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings box.
9. Configure your settings.