When you attempt to restore the system state on a Windows 2000 server Service Pack 3 or 4 installed, the Application event log records:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: NTBackup.exe
Description: Instruction at 0x775c827e referenced memory at 0x00000005. The memory could not be read.
Thread Name: RestoreRegDb
Exception code: c0000005
Exception description: Access violation
Exception address: 775c827e
This error will occur if the following is true:
1. You install the Cumulative Update for Microsoft RPC/DCOM.
2. You use NTBackup.exe to perform a full backup of your computer, including the system state:
- Boot files, including the system files, and all files protected by Windows File Protection (WFP). - Active Directory (on a domain controller only). - Sysvol (on a domain controller only). - Certificate Services (on certification authority only). - Cluster database (on a cluster node only). - Performance counter configuration information. - Component Services Class registration database.3. You perform a new (clean) installation of Windows 2000.
4. You attempt to perform the restore using the media from step 2.
This behavior is caused by a mismatch between the Catsrvut.dll and Clbcatq.dll library files.
To resolve this problem:
1. Install the Cumulative Update for Microsoft RPC/DCOM.
2. Perform the restore.