The Windows XP SP2 Security Center monitors the status of Windows Firewall, Automatic Updates, and some virus detection. If a problem is detected, an icon and balloon message is displayed in the Notification Area.
NOTE: Security Center will always recommend that you set Automatic (recommended).
To alter the Security Center settings:
1. Start / Run / wscui.cpl / OK.
2. Under Manage security settings For, press Automatic Updates.
3. Select one of the following options:
- Automatic (recommended) - lets you select the day and time that updates are downloaded and installed.
- Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them - automatically downloads updates, and notifies you when they are available for installation.
- Notify me but don't automatically download or install them - notifies you that updates are available to be downloaded.
- Turn off Automatic Updates - simply provides a link to Windows Update for you to manually check.