You experience the following behaviors on a Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) computer:
When you right-click My Computer and press Properties, you receive:
Rundll32.exe Entry point not found.
The procedure entry RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library winsta.dll.
When you attempt to start the Remote Access Connection Manager service, you receive:
Could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on Local Computer.
Error 5: Access is denied.
When you try to perform a system restore, you receive:
Restrui.exe Entry point not found.
When you attempt to create a network connection, or connect to the Internet, you receive:
Cannot load Remote Access Connection Manager.
These issues may occur if you upgrade Windows XP SP1 Home Edition to Windows XP Professional, or if you use the System Restore feature to restore to a state prior to SP1, as these actions may cause an integrity problems with registry settings in the System hive.
To resolve these problems:
1. Copy / Paste the following to an FIX_RasMan.reg file:
2. Merge the FIX_RasMan.reg file with you registry, or run regedit /s FIX_RasMan.reg.
3. Shutdown and restart Windows XP.
If these problems persist:
4. Browse to the %SystemRoot%\inf\Sr.inf file.
5. Right-click the %SystemRoot%\inf\Sr.inf file and press Install.
6. Press Browse in the Files Needed dialog box and select the Sr.sys file from the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD-ROM.
7. Press OK.
8. When the install is finished, shutdown and restart Windows XP.