The error message is similar to:
Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware. Network_Adapter_Model_Name… An error occurred in the installation of this device. The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.
You will experience this behavior if the defective adapter left registry entries when you removed it.
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
01. Right-click Right-click My Computer and press Properties.
02. Select the Hardware tab and press Device Manager.
03. Expand Network adapters, right-click the Network_Adapter_Name, and press Uninstall.
04. In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, press OK.
05. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each network adapter that is listed in Device Manager.
06. Close Device Manager.
07. Start / Run / msconfig / OK.
08. On the General tab, select Diagnostic Startup - load basic devices and services only.
09. Select the Services tab and select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
10. In the Services list, clear each of the services check boxes and press OK.
11. Restart your computer.
12. Start / Run / regedit / OK.
13. In Registry Editor, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, press File and Export.
13. In the Save In list, press Desktop, in the Name box type HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, press Save, and close the Export Registry File dialog box.
15. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and look for registry entries specific to your network adapter. For example, if you have a Linksys network adapter, look for entries named Linksys. When you find an entry, right-click the key and press Delete.
16. Start / Run / msconfig / OK.
17. On the General tab, select Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services.
18. Select the Services tab and select each service check box.
19. Restart your computer.
20. Windows will detect your network adapter and install the correct driver files.
21. Restart your computer several times to make sure that all devices and services are loading correctly.
22. On your desktop, right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, press Delete, and press Yes to confirm.