When you visit
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itcommunity/chats/default.asp, the page begins with:
Click on the title of the chat in which you are interested in participating.
Chat with experts on important technology issues. New topics and guest speakers are listed below.
Check back often as we are lining them up to address your most urgent concerns. Before joining in,
be sure to check our privacy statement.
When you visit
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itcommunity/chats/default.asp, the page contains:
Using Microsoft TechNet Chat - Instructions & Tips
- You need Microsoft Internet Explorer version 4.0 or higher or Netscape 4.x installed on your computer to use Microsoft chat.
- Go to the chat room.
- Choose a nickname. This is the name under which you will be known in the chat. If you have previously chosen a nickname you will not be prompted for a nickname, but you can change your nickname by selecting the “Change Nickname” link.
- You will be asked to download the chat software if you have not already done so or if an update is available. If you have trouble with the download, please view the “Download help” page.
- When the download is completed you see the chat windows and can immediately participate.
- To participate in the chat discussion that you see in the lower chat window, write your message in the field at the bottom of the lower chat window and click the “Send” button. Your message will appear in the lower chat window and all other chat participants can view it and respond.
- If you want to post a question for the host/s of the chat, type your question in the text field in the lower chat room, then click send. The hosts will choose questions and post their responses in the top chat window.
- This is a moderated chat. You will not be able to write to the upper window pane.
- If you are behind a firewall, you may need a proxy client to get to the chat server. Please contact your network administrator to help you set this up. The port for chat is 6667.
- Chat panes resize with the browser window, not individually.
- These Chat rooms are accessible only through this web interface.
These links will take you to schedules for upcoming chats: