When you attempt to format your hard disk during Windows XP setup, you receive:
Setup was unable to perform the selected operation.
Additionally, you receive:
Setup has performed additional maintenance on your hard disk, press F3 to restart.
An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. Data error cyclic redundancy check.
When you restart your computer, Setup restarts and the same errors occur.
Your hard drive may be damaged and may need to be replaced.
To resolve this issue:
1. Allow Setup to repeat this process for a few more repetitions. It may successfully repair the damage.
2. If this process continues after a few more repetitions, on the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you multi-boot, choose the installation.
4. When prompted, type the Administrator password or press Enter for a blank password.
5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk <Drive:> /r and press Enter.
6. Inspect the Chkdsk results and perform any additional repairs recommended.
7. Restart your computer. If setup repeats the error, replace your hard disk.