When you try to install a device on a computer that has been upgraded to Windows XP, you receive:
Cannot install hardware.
An error occurred during the installation of the device.
The Data is invalid.
This is symptomatic of a driver that is NOT compatible with Windows XP.
To resolve this issue:
1. Restart the computer in Safe mode.
2. Rename %SystemRoot%\Driver cache\I386\Driver.cab to Driver.old.
3. Browse the Windows XP CD-ROM and double-click the I386 folder to expand it.
4. Select the Driver.cab file and press CTRL+C to copy it to the clipboard.
5. Expand to the %SystemRoot%\Driver cache folder and press CTRL+V to paste the Driver.cab file from the clipboard.
6. Remove the device you were trying to install:
A. If you were installing a printer, use Control Panel / Printers and Other Hardware.
B. Press Printers and Faxes or the icon of the device type you wish to remove.
C. Select the device you wish to remove and press Remove.
A. Right-click My Computer and press Manage.
B. Press Device Manager.
C. Expand the device category.
D. Select your device and press Delete.
7. Shutdown and restart your computer.
8. Your device may be detected and installed automatically, or you should be able to install it if you have Windows XP OEM drivers.