When you try to join a Windows 2000 or .NET domain, by using the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name), you receive one of the following messages, after entering the account name and password of an account with permissions to join the domain:
The following error occurred attempting to join domain <DomainName.DomainSuffix>:
The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
Network path not found.
If you use the NetBIOS domain name, you can join the domain.
This error will occur if the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service is NOT running on the client computer.
To resolve this issue:
1. Log on to the client with administrative privileges.
2. Start / Run / Services.msc / OK.
3. Double-click the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service.
4. Change the Startup type to Automatic and press Apply.
5. Press the Start button under Service status.
6. When the Service status is Started, press OK.
7. Close the snap-in.
8. Join the domain.