To see if Windows XP has really stopped responding, press CTRL+ALT+DEL. If the Windows Security dialog appears, the computer is NOT hung.
If you upgraded to Windows XP, your computer may be starting the Sulfnbk.exe utility, which was used in non-Windows NT based computers to restore long file names. This utility is NOT needed and NOT provided in Windows NT based installations.
To fix this problem:
01. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL while the desktop is NOT displayed.
02. Press Task Manager and view the Processes tab.
03. Scroll to Sulfnbk.exe, click it, and press End Process.
04. Press Yes, when prompted, to confirm.
05. Close Task Manager.
06. Use Start / Search to search for All files and folder and type Sulfnbk.exe in the search argument.
07. Press the Search button.
08. Right-click the Sulfnbk.exe file and delete it.
09. Shutdown and restart Windows XP.
10. Use msconfig.exe to locate the
start-up of Sulfnbk.exe and delete the start-up shortcut or registry