When you use the Event Viewer, you receive the subject error. When you try to manually start the Event Log service, you may receive:
Error 0126: The specified module could not be found.
It is likely that the Eventlog.dll file is missing from %Systemroot%\System32 and/or %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache.
To fix the problem:
1. Mount the Windows 2000-CD, unless the SourcePath is configured to a local or network drive.
2. Insure that the ServicePackSourcePath is properly set.
3. Run SFC /purgecache from a CMD prompt, which can consume considerable resources.
4. Type CD %SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache.
5. Type Copy EventLog.dll %SystemRoot%\System32.
6. Type Net Start Eventlog.
7. Run the Event Viewer.